Re: Discussion of the Home/SOHO environment

Le Saturday 05 January 2008 23:35:03 shogunx, vous avez écrit :
> > Yes, and Teredo was invented exactly to deal with the issues
> > raised by 6to4 in a SOHO environment.
>
> Surely there is a better way than that kludge though.

Errrr, nobody (sane) would ever propose that CPE have to be Teredo gateways to
access the IPv6 Internet. For a very simple reason. Contrary to 6to4, there
is no such thing as a Teredo gateway. Teredo gives you a single address, not
a /48 prefix as 6to4 does.

> Given that NAT also is a kludge, we really should earnestly consider how to
> NOT build on top of it... otherwise, we run the risk of a very nasty stack
> down the road.  At worst we should be able to encourage firmware updates for
> those NAT boxes... radvd works very well.  At best the CPE should be
> providing v6, perhaps making a bridge interface to the v6 router in the
> NOC upstream.

The point here is, IPv6 will be *more* reliable if CPEs *with* native IPv6
also have a Teredo relay. The only use of the Teredo relay is to reach third
parties using Teredo; it does not affect the "normal" IPv6 connectivity at
all.

Yet, I do expect most CPEs not to provide a Teredo relay, because the of the
extra complexity and cost for the CPE vendor. However, the CPE requirements
have to be consistent: if the CPE wants to block IPv4 port 3544, it really
really should provide a Teredo relay. Otherwise, it is effectively decreasing
the reliability of the IPv6 world.

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont
http://www.remlab.net/