Discussion of the Home/SOHO environment

I am reporting back to the working group on the CPE REquirements design team, and specifically a question Alain raised this afternoon. I think it is something the IPv6 operational community, and by extension the IPv6 community, needs to think about. For context, I have included several emails from the thread including my own, which opened it, Alain's, which asked some very important questions, and my own reply to Alain's note. I have also included a couple of others which I thought were important.

I would like the v6ops community to discuss this and come to some conclusion that can guide the CPE Requirements development. It may be worthwhile documenting that conclusion and the assumptions it is based on in an RFC. We are dealing at least in part with a world view question, and we need a rational and agreed world view.

Begin forwarded message:

From: Fred Baker <fred@cisco.com>
Date: January 3, 2008 12:15:44 PM PST
To: V6CPE Design Team <v6ops-residential-cpe-design- team@external.cisco.com> Cc: v6ops-ads@tools.ietf.org, Kurt Erik Lindqvist <kurtis@kurtis.pp.se>
Subject: Wondering if we're on the same wavelength

As we're going through this discussion, I'm wondering if we have it structured right. It seems like we are not working on a single set of requirements on which we basically agree, which is characteristic of a design team. Rather, we have a very polarized discussion between two very different sets of people. One set, the folks who make CPEs, are being told in no uncertain terms by their customers that they need to provide firewall functionality, and some customers require NAT functionality for reasons unrelated to firewalling. The other group, which AFAIK have no skin in the CPE game, are (in some cases adamantly) opposed to the deployment of firewalls.

Would we have a more productive discussion if this were separated into two separate teams and resultant documents, each describing and arguing for its version of the universe? If so, who would like to take the lead on the "we don't need no stinkin firewalls" model?