Re: Teredo server selection

On 22-Dec-2007, at 03:56, Nathan Ward wrote:

I'm looking at my server selection stuff for Teredo again, and have
been looking at ways to get around the (political) problems of having
a well known name.

My current thinking is, why not have a well known DNS name, but it is
NOT globally available. The server discovery procedure would be
something like:
1) Lookup A record for `_teredo._udp.arpa.' (or whatever. Note the
trailing . - we don't want to be looking up
`_teredo._udp.arpa.defaultdomain' etc.)
2) If there is an NXDOMAIN response, the well known anycasted server
address is used. (hard coded, I'm afraid)
3) If there is a NOERROR response pointing to a valid Teredo server,
this is used.
4) If there is any other RCODE, Teredo is not attempted.

I fear that:

 - the politics involved in choosing a name will be tedious
- there are potential root/ARPA/whatever server load considerations, given the potential base of teredo clients - bootstrapping a network plumbing exercise using a DNS name sounds like it has the potential to expose circular dependencies

Given a well-known anycast address for Teredo (is there one?) I'm not sure why the easy answer to this is to forget about the DNS and just use the IP address. If sites want to keep the traffic local, they can always arrange for traffic aimed at that address to be delivered to a local host in their network.

(I'll note that I've been on extended e-mail cold-turkey [ho, ho] over the holidays, and may be missing some context in this thread. If what I am saying makes no sense, please be gentle.)

Joe