Re: IPv6 broadband provisioning

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 11:54:41 -0500
Kevin Loch <kloch@kl.net> wrote:

> Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
>
> > The first device under the control of the ISP, or at least a device very
> > low in the aggregation hierarchy, to intercepts router advertisements
> > from the ISP's IPv6 router and slightly modifies them: it basically
> > injects some bits that are particular to the customer/line, so that
> > every customer sees RAs with a prefix unique to them.
>
> This seems a whole lot more convoluted and hackish than just giving
> operators the option of running dhcpv6 and vrrpv6 with RA turned off.
>
> However, There is a way you could do both.  Have the CPE devices act
> as routers instead of l2 bridges.  CPE devices request everything
> including gateway via dhcpv6.  They also get a customer subnet (/48 /56
> whatever) via dhcpv6 option or via their tftp'd config file.  CPE
> then issues RA's on customer subnet(s) for convenience in the home
> userspace.

This is pretty much the model I've been assuming. Here in .au all CPE
that's been sold in the last 5 years or so has been configured and
operates as a router, performing NAT, when given to the customer.
That's one of the things that's going to cause us trouble deploying
IPv6, which is where solutions such as Teredo are options.

That being said, by accident I've recently found that the new CPE my
employer has started selling both bridges non-IPv4 frames and routes
IPv4 concurrently by default. I don't know if this brouter
functionality is common, or going to become common, although this CPE
is pretty typical OEM'd CPE in the asia pacific. I could fire up IPv6
on our DSL Internet PVC, and have devices receive RAs though the
hundreds of these things we've sold.

> This is an example of different environments where dhcpv6/vrrpv6
> with RA turned off makes sense, and where fully featured
> RA is best.
>
> I've already mentioned that hosting environments absolutely
> cannot run any kind of RA due to the strict controls and
> sometimes complex setups where broadcast style configuration
> won't work.
>

> - Kevin

Regards,
Mark.