Re: Merge NAT-PT approaches?

On 28 dec 2007, at 15:43, marcelo bagnulo braun wrote:

I don't think reusing parts from shim6 makes a lot of sense for authentication. There are already several datagram based authentication mechanisms, and they can get quite complex. If a host needs to authenticate towards a NAT-PT translator, it would be much simpler to set up a TLS-protected TCP session and then do simple user/password authentication.

i think this depends on the application scenario that the mechanism is designed to work on. Having TLS + user/password may be ok for some scenarios, but you need to provision the tls certs and the user and password, which may be ok for some application cases and not so ok for others. So i would suggest we first figure out which is the application scenario where the mechanisms is supposed to work on, then we figure out the threats and then try to work on security tools for that

I'm assuming a relatively simple model where users have their packets translate by a NAT-PT translator that is outside their own network or their ISP's network. Since it would obviously be problematic to accept and translate packets from the entire internet, we need some simple authentication.

This would be very similar to IMAP or POP authentication in the presence of TLS: the TLS itself isn't part of the authentication but is only used to make sure that the password travels over the network encrypted. In theory certificates could be a complication, but in practice, all hosts that come with a web browser already have a bunch of root certificates so this isn't much of an issue.

I don't think we need strong security as in IPsec for the data packets, but if someone else knows a reason why we do, I'm listening.