Re: Remove tunnel mode from ipsec-tunnels-02?

On Wed, 6 Sep 2006, Fred Baker wrote:
given that there are significant networks that operate in tunnel mode, including both corporate VPNs and military networks that use tunnel mode between encryption devices with a specific view to hiding interior addressing and therefore military asset distribution from prying eyes, this proposal seem profoundly silly.

Our assumption has been that transport mode is applied to a tunnel interface (such as IPv6-in-IPv4, GRE etc). That hides the inner addresses from those observers that would have been on-path in the tunnel.

When IPsec tunnel mode is _NOT_ modelled as an interface, then this is OK though IMHO suboptimal because you cannot in practice run neighbor discovery, routing protocols, multicast etc. over such tunnels. Due to the link-local issues mentioned previously, tunnel mode is not something we can recommend when it's modelled as an interface.

If there is something you disagree with in the above two paragraphs, maybe you should clarify what the deployment looks like, because there are a lot of different variations how IPsec could be applied:

 a) transport mode in host-to-host mode (end-to-end IPsec)
b) transport mode when applied to an IP tunnel interface (e.g., between security gateways or a security gateway and a node)
 c) tunnel mode, not modelled as an interface
 d) tunnel mode, modelled as an interface

a) is out of scope of this document. b) seems best option by far. c) can also work but has more more limited applicability as routing protocols, multicast, etc. don't work. There is no interoperable standards solution for d) that wouldn't break IPv6 architecture hence it's non-starter.

Maybe you could remind us why the v6ops working group is supposed to be overriding the recommendation of the ipsec working group on how security is supposed to work based on what is convenient to IPv6?

I don't see what's being overridden. IPsec architecture allows the use of transport mode between a node and a security gateway. If the use of tunnel mode is suboptimal, I don't see it as a problem to recommend another approach instead.