Re: Tunnels and diffserv question

Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
Le samedi 26 août 2006 03:14, vous avez écrit :

The abstract mentions "IP tunnels of various forms", section 6
explicitly mentions "IPv6 over  IPv4 tunnels (RFC1933)". This in
special and the rest of the text makes it seems to be fully
applicable to all the other transition mechanisms. Simply copying
over the inner ToS/DS field to the outer one should be sufficient.

Right, thanks. That's the first conceptual model from §3.1. I was merely wondering if it was recommended that 6to4, Teredo (and ISATAP?) use the first or the second model... it does not make much sense, I think, to have different model implemented by different nodes since they are all part of the same multi-point pseudo-tunnel.

I haven't seen any implementation actually doing this though, but it
could be that some implementations already do it in that manner.

Anyway, I'm afraid this is hardly implementable in practice, since there is no IPv4-equivalent of the sendmsg() IPV6_TCLASS option, but that's slightly off-topic.

That shouldn't matter, assuming the tunnel end-point is below the socket
API or somewhere inside the network. It should map the DSCP regardless of
who set it. Today, DSCPs are usually set by policy or by a classifier,
not by an API.

    Brian