Re: Question about past advice to RIRs

On 7 aug 2006, at 19.26, Fred Baker wrote:

As discussed in the recent IETF meeting, Marla Azinger and I are putting together a document on IPv6 multihoming. My current list of references for the document includes the attached. Some of the reviewers have stated that at least some of the documents should be considered out of date.

If so, I think the IESG should advise the RFC Editor to mark them "historical".

In any event, would people please look through this and tell me which documents to drop?

Note that RFCs 1265, 1787, 2008, 2827, and 3704 are included for the perspectives they present whether currently applicable or not. The biggest problems seem to arise from RFCs 1881 and 1887; if they are obsolete, I have an entire section that might disappear.

A quick review gives me the thoughts as below...I am sure I have overlooked some details...

7.  References

7.1.  Normative References

   [RFC2008]  Rekhter, Y. and T. Li, "Implications of Various Address
              Allocation Policies for Internet Routing", BCP 7,
              RFC 2008, October 1996.

AFAIK ok.

   [RFC2460]  Deering, S. and R. Hinden, "Internet Protocol, Version 6
              (IPv6) Specification", RFC 2460, December 1998.

AFAIK ok.

   [RFC3177]  IAB and IESG, "IAB/IESG Recommendations on IPv6 Address
              Allocations to Sites", RFC 3177, September 2001.

This is under discussion in draft-narten-ipv6-3177bis-48boundary-02 as mentioned below.

   [RFC3769]  Miyakawa, S. and R. Droms, "Requirements for IPv6 Prefix
              Delegation", RFC 3769, June 2004.

AFIAK ok.

[RFC4177] Huston, G., "Architectural Approaches to Multi-homing for
              IPv6", RFC 4177, September 2005.

AFAIK ok.

   [RFC4291]  Hinden, R. and S. Deering, "IP Version 6 Addressing
              Architecture", RFC 4291, February 2006.

AFAIK ok.

7.2.  Informative References

   [I-D.narten-ipv6-3177bis-48boundary]
              Narten, T., "IPv6 Address Allocation to End Sites",
              draft-narten-ipv6-3177bis-48boundary-02 (work in
              progress), June 2006.

   [I-D.white-sobgp-architecture]
White, R., "Architecture and Deployment Considerations for
              Secure Origin BGP (soBGP)",
              draft-white-sobgp-architecture-02 (work in progress),
              June 2006.

[METRO] Deering, S., "Metro-Based Addressing", July 1995, <ftp:// ftp.ietf.cnri.reston.va.us/ietf-online-proceedings/ 95jul/
              presentations/allocation/deering.slides.ps>.

Not IETF docs per se.

   [RFC1265]  Rekhter, Y., "BGP Protocol Analysis", RFC 1265,
              October 1991.

This analysis applies to BGPv3. Some of the conclusions seems to hold, but numbers and terminology might not. Should probably be updated rather than moved to historic.

   [RFC1517]  Hinden, R., "Applicability Statement for the
Implementation of Classless Inter-Domain Routing (CIDR)",
              RFC 1517, September 1993.

Seems ok.

   [RFC1518]  Rekhter, Y. and T. Li, "An Architecture for IP Address
              Allocation with CIDR", RFC 1518, September 1993.

   [RFC1519]  Fuller, V., Li, T., Yu, J., and K. Varadhan, "Classless
              Inter-Domain Routing (CIDR): an Address Assignment and
              Aggregation Strategy", RFC 1519, September 1993.

ok.

   [RFC1787]  Rekhter, Y., "Routing in a Multi-provider Internet",
              RFC 1787, April 1995.

This is an informational document by the IAB to stimulate discussion at the time.

   [RFC1881]  Internet Architecture Board and Internet Engineering
              Steering Group, "IPv6 Address Allocation Management",
              RFC 1881, December 1995.

AFAIK ok.

   [RFC1887]  Rekhter, Y. and T. Li, "An Architecture for IPv6 Unicast
              Address Allocation", RFC 1887, December 1995.

Should preferable be updated or moved to historic. Not sure if there is value in updating it.

[RFC2073] Rekhter, Y., Lothberg, P., Hinden, R., Deering, S., and J.
              Postel, "An IPv6 Provider-Based Unicast Address Format",
              RFC 2073, January 1997.

Should be moved to historic (I thought it was when TLAs where taken out with RFC4291 (or actually 31513 I guess). It's at least been replaced with the IANA IPv6 unicast address registry.

   [RFC2374]  Hinden, R. and S. Deering, "An IPv6 Aggregatable Global
              Unicast Address Format", RFC 2374, July 1998.

Says it replaces 2073 so there seems to be some inconsistency....

   [RFC2827]  Ferguson, P. and D. Senie, "Network Ingress Filtering:
Defeating Denial of Service Attacks which employ IP Source
              Address Spoofing", BCP 38, RFC 2827, May 2000.

Updated by RFC3704, which is referenced below.

   [RFC3178]  Hagino, J. and H. Snyder, "IPv6 Multihoming Support at
              Site Exit Routers", RFC 3178, October 2001.

Don't believe this has ever been implemented but that doesn't mean it's historic.

   [RFC3587]  Hinden, R., Deering, S., and E. Nordmark, "IPv6 Global
              Unicast Address Format", RFC 3587, August 2003.

AFIK ok.

[RFC3704] Baker, F. and P. Savola, "Ingress Filtering for Multihomed
              Networks", BCP 84, RFC 3704, March 2004.

AFAIK ok.

[RFC4076] Chown, T., Venaas, S., and A. Vijayabhaskar, "Renumbering
              Requirements for Stateless Dynamic Host Configuration
              Protocol for IPv6 (DHCPv6)", RFC 4076, May 2005.

AFAIK ok.

   [RFC4218]  Nordmark, E. and T. Li, "Threats Relating to IPv6
              Multihoming Solutions", RFC 4218, October 2005.

AFAIK ok.

- kurtis -