Re: v6 multihoming and route filters

On 5-jul-2006, at 21:23, bmanning@vacation.karoshi.com wrote:

This argument would be considerably more persuasive if there was some
other group picking up the slack.

	ah, but there are other groups picking up the slack...
	e.g. your ISP and their peers.

There is a big difference between individual entities doing individual things that make sense for them, and agreeing on something that's good for everyone.

And since the IETF is (hopefully) the place where internet routing is
best understood

	er, not clear that the IETF is the place where internet
	routing is best understood... except from a theory standpoint.
	there is a distinct difference between a specification (IETF),
	an implementation (ZEBRA), and operation (your ISP)...

You make it sound like there is no overlap between the different groups. Unlike other standards organizations, anyone can participate in the IETF and even though the balance between different groups could be better, the IETF still enjoys a wide variety of people and occupations in its constituency.

  IMHO
	it is none of the IETF's business to tell me or your ISP how
	it can and can not run its business.

There is a big difference between providing information about what's a good idea and creating/enforcing rules. The former should be part of the IETF's business, the latter probably shouldn't.

Such advice might also mention the
	fallicy of a "global routing table"

What fallicy?

Making value judgements in standards is nearly never a good idea.

What is a standard other than a big fat value judgement?

	your view of standards is apparently different than mine.

	i guess that in the end, if the IETF codifies this, we are
	back to classfull routing and hardcoding address boundaries...
	which turns back years of attempts to  remove arbitrary bounds
	checking that was implemented in IPv4 in the early days ...

The lesson was poorly learned because through some back doors we're now in the situation where having /64 subnets is pretty much mandatory.

But we were talking about inter-domain routing. Filtering on prefix size is a very useful technique that does indeed have unfortunate side effects. But if you want to get rid of this technique you'll have to come up with something to replace it... Not filtering is not a reasonable long-term strategy.