Re: v6 multihoming and route filters

On 5-jul-2006, at 18:47, bmanning@vacation.karoshi.com wrote:

actually, i think that Christian is dead-on. the IETF should not presume to know or dictate "best practices" for routing - esp. when they have no idea what may be my drivers. the best/only thing they should do is describe -HOW- it is done and -WHAT- are the boundaries for the choices ...

This argument would be considerably more persuasive if there was some other group picking up the slack. The RIRs explicitly reject any responsibility for routing, although by creating address policies they impose important limits on what can be done here. Groups like NANOG, APRICOT and RIPE (as opposed to the RIPE NCC) are in the business of spreading best practices, but not in the business of creating them.

And since the IETF is (hopefully) the place where internet routing is best understood an the IETF has historically always had an operational component (hence the existence of this very working group), I think the IETF can't shy away from at the very least discouraging harmful practices, and preferably also pointing out tradeoffs that exist between different choices and recommend best practices if such can be identified.

Making value judgements in standards is nearly never a good idea.

What is a standard other than a big fat value judgement?