RE: What we disagree on RE: TE Requirements Draft-ELSP

Francois,

>          1) (iiia) brings absolutely no new functionality

No, (iii a) brings absolute new functionality of transporting
together traffic belonging to different classes of a service
of a customer on the same LSP that is not defined in the DS-TE
requirements documents. It is definitely not the same way that
you can do with other things.

>          2) (iiia) may only be used in limited situations
> used to group OAs which have different bandwidth requirements
> BUT have the same affinity requirement, have the same preemption
> requirement, have the same protection requirement and have the
> same Class-Type requirements.

Class type should not be in this picture. No one ever said
all of the OAs will be mapped to the same CT. That would be
wrong. We were only saying about same pre-emption attributes.
CT is not brought into this picture as this is outside the
scope of mechanism and not a necessary means to do DS-TE.
SPs may want to do classes instead of CT. If it is a absolute
must, then along with OA bandwidth parameters, you would also
indicate it's class type, in a very simple way by adding two
bits. This would complete the CT functionality.

>          3) the only benefit is debatable in practical networks

I don't think so. Path protection is one of the important
aspects of MPLS. One would want to guarantee faster restoration
times at the path level on an end-to-end basis (and to provide
availability SLAs). Carrying all OAs of a customer on a single
E-LSP would bring such faster restoration times besides reducing
the LSP scalability issue for the whole customer traffic.
Therefore the benefit is not just LSP scalability issue but
is also tied to provide better availability SLAs in a
multi-OA case.

>          4) it requires protocol extensions and options , which
> we already have a lot of

You need protocol extensions that are useful and this one is such.
This is a completely missed out functionality. In order to do
E-LSP and L-LSP co-existence meaningfully, these "minor" protocol
extensions are needed.

>          5) these protocol extensions have been explicitely discussed and
> rejected earlier

May be the MPLS application aspects might have changed from
when you considered last. Even the group of people who are looking
at this problem now could be different.

>          6) we still don't know whether there are SPs which may really
> benefit from this

I thought some of the other posts are from SPs who are arguing the
benefits of this.

-Sudhakar