RE: Alternative to draft-ash-mpls-diffserv-te-class-types-00.txt ?

 Hi! Some of my thoughts are inline in the forwarded e-mail.

 Thanks,
 sanjay

 	The draft just got announced today & I haven't got a
	chance to read it as yet. Personally, I still believe
  	there exists alternatives to the ClassType based
  	DS-TE solution --but that is probably a discussion
  	on a separate thread.

> > The DS-TE scalability issue can be handled by the some
> > of the existing DS-TE proposals (kompella,ash,boyel..)
>
> This is a different scalability issue than addressed in the
> current draft.
> E.g.,
> http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ash-mpls-diffserv
>-te-alternativ
e-02.txt and
http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ash-ospf-isis-congestion-contro
>l-01.txt address concerns about scalability of IGPs and extensions of LSAs
>to communicate per-CT available bandwidth, etc. In particular, the former
>('te-alternative') draft proposes 'no further IGP extensions' to support
>CTs, and illustrates one possible technical solution which avoids further
>extensions to the IGP.  Some progress is being made now toward that 'no
>further extensions' objective.

	Let us assume that such a DS-TE alternative exists
	to handle the IGP scalability problem, for the rest
	of the discussion.

>The scalability issue discussed in the current draft
>http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ash-mpls-diffserv-te-class-typ
>s-00.txt (e.g., see Section 3) is to reduce the dimensionality/complexity
of
>possible CTs across 4 levels of priority (DiffServ PHBs, admission-control
>priority, restoration priority, preemption priority).  The intent is to
>reduce a possibly very large number of independent CTs to 6, by combining
>the 4 priority-dimensions into a smaller number (6) of CT combinations.  We
>feel that this approach is more scalable than allowing a very large number
>of CT combinations.

	The draft assumes that if one supports 4 DS classes
	and 4 preemption priorities, one has to define 4 x 4 = 16
	"Class Types". But one does not have to. Just signal
	the DS class & preemption priority (as separate TLVs).

>Another motivation for defining consistent CTs (also pointed out by Wai
Sum)
http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-schulzrinne-sip-911-01.txt)
>need to cross multiple SP networks with consistency and interoperability on
>priority treatment, etc.

	If a LSP with DS class = EF, Setup Priority = 2 & Holding
	Priority = 2, is signaled, all the LSRs (in SP1 or SP2)
	are expected to treat the LSP in a similar way! I still
	don't see a interoperability problem.

	If the main goal of the proposed draft, is to define a set
	of well-defined LSP characteristics, may be it should publish
	a set of recommended parameters [well known SLAs ?], without
	tying the solution to a particular DS-TE solution (Class Type).