Re: Alternative to draft-ash-mpls-diffserv-te-class-types-00.txt ?

I suppose the idea behind higher priority for control traffic is to assure proper link-state routing operation in sever overloads. Check out this draft:

<draft-ash-ospf-isis-congestion-control-01.txt>
"Proposed Mechanisms for Congestion Control/Failure Recovery in OSPF & ISIS Networks"

Still, I would not dare to say that there should not be preemption among other non-control traffic types. Recall, the draft of Jim, proposed that it should be configurable which class-type could preempt which one <draft-boyle-tewg-ds-nop-00.txt> :

            class voice use priority 2
	    class data use priority 4
	    [mpls preempt <yes|limited|map|no>]
----------> [preempt map voice over data]
	    [class mute <list>]

Previous idea was that higher priority can preempt any lower priority. I think this is the concept actually coded in many MPLS implementations.

Balazs