RE: TE Requirements Draft - ELSP

Let me try to describe what I think your after, and how it can work with
the current tools.
You are saying that you want to be able to do per-class CAC (probably
necessary), and aggregated E-LSPs (desirable).  You then conclude that you
need per link per class resource information.

If you want to be able to do per-link allocation between EF and BE, of
course you need per-link per-class resource information.  In that case, it
makes sense to do per-class LSPs.

If you are trying to do aggregate reservation, it must be because
aggregation makes some sense.  In your example, not only do you have
varying link utilization per class (a requirement to get the problem you
suggest), but the links somehow know this.  In order for the links to know
the EF and BE distributions, the reservations on the links must be per
class.  But you just said that you are doing TE in aggregate!  Where did
the link per class resource information come from?  Did the TE LSP
reservation carry the individual resource requirements?  THen it was really
two LSP setups, not one.

The usual assumption that allows aggregate TE and per-class CAC is where
the allocation of intra-LSP resources is up to the LSP ingress.  In that
case, for each LSP that it sets up, the ingree reserves a total
bandwidth.  As a simple case, if EVERY ingress allows only 15% of EACH LSP
to be used for EF, then by definition (assuming no overbooking) no router
will see more than 15% EF anywhere.  If 15% is the supportable level of EF
traffic with the guarantees you want to make, then you have achieved your
goal.  At ingress, you make sure that the EF traffic you deliver into the
network is less than 15% of each LSP you send it over.  (Do this by
policing, CAC< or some other mechanism as you choose.)

Yours,
Joel M. Halpern

PS: Sorry I wandered a bit.  I am trying to find different views to
exaplain what you might be after, since just there is presumably some real
world problem you are trying to address.