Re: TE Requirements Draft - ELSP

Nabil,

At 17:46 16/11/2001 -0500, Nabil Seddigh wrote:
>Francois,
>
> > Or are you suggesting operations of DS-TE over E-LSPs which
> > transport multiple OAs? In that case, what are the Service
> > Provider requesting this?
>
>Yes to the former. You already heard from Jim Boyle wrt the latter.
>There are other service providers interested in this. I am not sure
>if they are willing to indicate their positions on the list.

Hm, how do we write a requirements document for requirements that people
are not willing to indicate?

The document we are talking about is a "requirements" document. My
understanding of its role is that it is here precisely to draw the boundary
between "what seems like a good idea" and "what SPs actually want to do".

It would seem appropriate to establish that someone is actually likely to
need this before adding this new requirement (which, as we all know,
entails specific protocol extensions, which have been considered in the
past during the making of ietf-mpls-diff-ext and deliberately rejected to
due lack of clear SP requirements).
Remember that we can always add capabilities later on.

So, network administrators who are interested in deploying DS-TE :
         - do you intend to deploy DS-TE over E-LSPs with multiple OAs per
LSP (rather than on L-LSPs or on E-LSPs with one OA per LSP) ?
         - would you use this to do per-class admission control but not do
per-class routing (then, would it not be a pity to deploy all this
sophistication and have voice not being able to take its shortest path
simply because there is no more resources for data on a link)?
         - or would you expect the routers to do fancy things like
dynamic/on-the-fly mapping of OAs on various LSPs : compute path for
differnet OAs separately and then if they happen to be the same at one
point in time push them onto the same LSP? then what happens if later on,
one OA gets preempted and not the other one: remap one OA on another LSP
with some other OAs?

Thanks in advance for your input

Francois

Francois Le Faucheur
Development Engineer, IOS Layer 3 Services
Cisco Systems
Office Phone:          +33 4 97 23 26 19
Mobile :               +33 6 89 108 159
Fax:                   +33 4 97 23 26 26
Email:                 flefauch@cisco.com
Cisco Systems
Domaine Green Side
400, Avenue de Roumanille