No Subject

Angela (and John) - this is indeed an interesting paper to review,
thank you for posting it (indirectly) to the list.  Here are some
comments.

I don't think this impacts the current restoration and hierarchy
requirements.  No one is denying that in the future, great things will
be possible by seamlessly merging optical and router domains (ok, so a
few are, but that's besides the point :) The design team decided not
to highlight the inevitible work in this area for several reasons,
such as:

     -) no one has quite come to the point where they are having
        problems interfacing their GMPLS capable all optical core with
        their massive OC48/192 networks where the obvious solution is
        to somehow interact at the network layer.

     -) in fact, one might speculate that *at this time* no one has a
        IP capaple WDM core.

     -) there *does* appear to be a pressing need in the area of
        supporting VPNs, especially those with associated SLAs, in a
        scalable manner, which might require some hierarchy.

     -) on restoration, there is a pressing need in data networks as
        well as TDM networks (sufficiently decoupled from their data
        bretheren) to have a small set of interoperable approaches at
        service restoration (a path based one, and something
        "quicker").

So for now, at least, the thought is to focus on pressing needs and
for now, at least, try not to muddle the solutions with rather forward
looking architectural problems.  Once the pressing needs are
addressed, then it might be again time to revisit needs for
integration of TDM and IP networks (who sponsors those requirements is
not defined right now, though).

I'm up for hearing feedback on this, but to date, this has been the
stated position and there hasn't been much objection, at least from
those whose responsibilities include running networks.

tick tick tick, though, the ADs say the timers on this are passing...

regards,

Jim

p.s. I have some technical feedback to the document - should it be sent to
you and John - or to the IPO list??