Re: new version of TE framework draft: Comments

Jim and all,

>6.7 (Diffserv TE) is way too far into the details, besides perhaps a bit
>biased to one approach, to wit:
>
> "In order to provide enhanced quality of service in a Diffserv domain,
>   it is not enough to implement proper buffer management and scheduling
>   mechanisms. In addition to buffer management and scheduling"
>
>maybe it is?  Is this a universal truth, is there a reference, is there no
>dissenting view in the community?  Can another look be made at 6.7 in
>light that this is in a framework document?

I agree with Jim that the above statement is too strong.

My personal take is that:
        - it is sufficient in many enviroments
        - it is not sufficient in some specific environments

so my suggestion would be along the lines of :
"While in some Diff-Serv environments, implementing proper buffer management and scheduling
mechanisms will be sufficient to provide enhanced quality of service, there are other environments where complementary mechanisms may be required. In these latter environments, in addition to buffer management and scheduling mechanisms, it may be desirable to control  .... "

Cheers

Francois

>regards,
>
>Jim
>

>On Sun, 1 Apr 2001, Jim Boyle wrote:
>

>> Everyone, please use the new mailing list, thanks.
>>
>> Jim

PLEASE NOTE NEW CONTACT DETAILS - See below

Francois Le Faucheur
Development Engineer, IOS Layer 3 Services
Cisco Systems
Office Phone:          +33 4 97 23 26 19
Mobile :               +33 6 89 108 159
Fax:                   +33 4 97 23 26 26
Email:                  flefauch@cisco.com
Cisco Systems Europe
Domaine Green Side
400, Avenue de Roumanille