Re: Can we make table indices accessible again?

HI,

I forgot to mention a trick from Evan, which is, for the
API to allow index objects to be requested, but you just don't
include them in the SNMP requests. So, if the API user
asked for columnar objects (ifIndex, ifInOctets, ifOutOctets),
the SNMP request would not contain a varBind for ifIndex,
and the code that implemented the API would generate the
value.

On Wed, 26 Sep 2001, David T. Perkins wrote:
> HI,
>
> As my friend Evan McGinnis would probably say, this problem is caused
> by poorly designed APIs to get SNMP tabular data.
>
> For example, if you have an API that you used to get the values
> of columnar objects ifInOctets and ifOutOctets, then it should
> return sequences of values for objects
>     (ifIndex, ifInOctets, ifOutOctets)
>
> Most APIs are at way too low a level. They require you to pass
> in a list of "varBind" structures, and you get back a list of
> varBind structures. That is just SAD, SAD, SAD.

  <message cut>

Regards,
/david t. perkins