Re: WG Last Call draft-ietf-sming-reqs-04.txt

Juergen Schoenwaelder wrote:

> Olivier> Plain wrong. Three ITU-T Recommendations can be downloaded
> Olivier> per email address for free. See
> Olivier> http://www.itu.int/publications/bookshop/how-to-buy.html#free
>
> Not quite true. It says "ITU will allow the download of three (3)

Thanks for pointing this out. I've asked ITU-T to change "will allow" into
"allows".

> Recommendations per person". Sure, the system is stupid and I can
> fake email addresses to get more if I want to. But that does not
> really make it free.

No comment.

> Olivier> If some people involved in SMIng are interested to have a
> Olivier> draft copy of the new 2002 edition of the ASN.1 standards,
> Olivier> they can email me.
>
> Does not help in this case.

It does for those who are open-minded to take ASN.1 into consideration as the
language for SMIng.

> >> and (b) which is itself hard to read and understand.
>
> Olivier> FYI there are (up-to-date) books that you can freely download
> Olivier> from http://www.oss.com/asn1/booksintro.html
>
> Olivier> Also we are working on the a new edition of the ASN.1
> Olivier> standards: if there are areas that are not clear to you,
> Olivier> please point to them and we'll improve the text.
>
> All great news, but the SMI is based on old ASN.1 stuff not readily
> available.

X.208 is available on the ITU-T website if you really need it.
--
Olivier DUBUISSON
france telecom R&D