Re: WG Last Call draft-ietf-sming-reqs-04.txt

>> 4.1.3 only says that SMIng must be human readable. What is wrong
>> with that? Note that the objectives document does not specify the
>> syntax of the solution.

Jon> If it is such a minor point, why is it in the document?

Because some WG members brought this up and the objective is obviously
not wrong. So here we are.

Jon> 4.1.4. Machine Readability I think the motiviation for making
Jon> easy to implement SMIng parsers is misplaced. As stated
Jon> previously this does not seem to be a major issue.

[...]

Jon> Because if it is minor, it is not worth the impact to the
Jon> community any change would cause.

There was some sort of agreement in London that the document lists
objectives and that the next step will be to analyse the cost/benefits
of addressing them. So there is IMHO no point in discussing whether
something is "minor" or not.

Jon> My question was not what the Charter said. My question was what
Jon> is the current working group consensus?

Let me try again: The document under last call is written to comply to
the WG charter. If people think this is wrong, then I believe they are
saying that the charter is wrong.

Jon> Actually no, I am suggesting that for the majority of the
Jon> requirements as stated in the document with the exceptions I
Jon> noted, any solution is more costly than the benefit.

I accept your opinion, although I disagree with it.

Jon> I believe what we are properly debating is the cost/benefit of
Jon> changes. I think the biggest bang for the buck is found in a very
Jon> small number of changes. Many of the rest are related to sppi/smi
Jon> merging and parser optimizations. Neither are high priorities in
Jon> my view.

My understand from the London meeting was that we get the objectives
finalized and in the next step, we analyze the costs/benefits. This is
what Andy proposed in a posting to this list some days ago and which I
thought we had agreement on in London.

/js