Re: comments on draft-ietf-sming-reqs-03.txt

Dave, I believe that could be done without creating an new syntax.

> >     2. One of the points that I made several times before the
> > WG formed, and
> > since at WG meetings is that some of the changes (you listed
> > some) seem to
> > offer little practical value and will be disruptive. If I
> > thought that adding
> > semicolons at the end of each line or changing the
> > capitolization rules would
> > advance the state of management, I would be be all for them.
> > I just have not
> > been convinced that they will.
>
> [Dave] Please note that the requirements do not require semicolons nor
> specify capitalization rules. It sounds like you are ready to start
> discussing the current language proposal, not the requirements.

If we were only discussing requirements we would not have started with the
nmrg document as the baseline. Something I was never particularly fond of. You
and I have had several conversations about 'improvements' to the SMI. I have
given some examples in my previous notes. None of which require a significant
change of syntax but which would yield results which I think we all would
want, e.g, inheritance improvements etc.

I think we can agree to a very short list of improvements. That should be the
starting point.

Thanks,
/jon
--