Re: comments on draft-ietf-sming-reqs-03.txt

> Hi!
>
> Jon> [...] I do not plan on spending a lot of time on these issues. I just
> Jon> wanted to be a good citizen an express my views one more time.
>
> I agree, that we should not waste time on this semicolon discussion,
> at least not at this point in time.
>
> What's important *now* are the requirements and their classifications.

Joel, just posted a note that said quite well what part of the disconnect may
be. It seems to me that we do not have an agreed set of problems to be solved.
As a result we are all thinking about our favorites from making it better for
parsers to my favorite aggregate objects which may not matter to many.

> The semicolon is of course not a requirement. But in my opinion the
> prerequisites for an easy and unambiguous development of parsers is a
> requirement, since we are faced these days with lots of buggy SMI
> modules due to the fact that for a long time of more than 5 years
> developers didn't have MIB compilers of that precision that we are all
> accustomed to by C and Java compilers. I don't want to repeat such a
> pain.
>
>  -frank

Frank, on this specific point, I think we still disagree. The problems with
[bad] SMI modules is that they are far less the result of buggy compilers and
much more the result of poor design and implementation. This is due in part to
the junior level of people that work on them in most companies and the
relatively low priority the work receives. A better compiler does not solve
much.

BTW, when I run development projects, I often ask for several compilers (c or
c++, and increasingly Java) to be used. The reason is that each has strengths
and weaknesses even in something that has been around for a long time like c.
gcc, and the compilers from Sun and HP have historically picked up different
issues. So while I might agree that an improvement in mib compilers would be
nice, it almost does not register on my list of important things. This is
largely due to the fact that in the many companies I have worked for and the
ones I current worth with as part of my consulting business, compilers are
never the issue.

Thanks,
/jon
--