RE: comments on draft-ietf-sming-reqs-02.txt: I18n

> From: David T. Perkins [mailto:dperkins@dsperkins.com]

> Thanks for responding. However, I still have concerns. The
> hard problems
> seem to have been dismissed without addressing them.

	If that is so it is only because you have not adequately stated
those problems.  Please do so.

> For example,
> binary FTP is not a solution. ^Z is mis-direction.

	Not a solution to what?  You asked if 8-bit files could be
transferred by ftp, and I replied that binary transfer mode would work.
Randy pointed out that it is a mistake to assume that current 7-bit files
can fully ignore platform compatibility - what issues remain?

> What I've seen that "worked" is to use all 7-bit displayable
> ASCII and use quoting to put in other characters. It's not pretty,
> but it worked.

	Quoted-printable is one method of encapsulating 8-bit data for 7-bit
systems.  It is commonly used to encapsulate 8-bit documents in email.
There is no need to specify such a thing as an input to a SMIng compiler,
however, since there is no SMIng legacy to support.

> Please provide some real examples of mainstream usage.

	Usage of what?  8-bit and multibyte character sets?  Pretty much
everything that isn't an IETF work!

	I want to be really clear here.  This isn't about taking risks to be
on the leading edge - it's about doing what's necessary to stay on the
trailing edge.  Welcome to the 21st century, everyone.

/|/|ike