Re: Methods, Inheritance, Exceptions, etc. (was: Re: Methods in SMIng ?)

Jon> Juergen, it is because I think there is not a decent map for
Jon> methods in the protocol operations, that I suggested that without
Jon> coordination with EOS, an effort here on mehtods would be
Jon> sub-optimal.

I think we are more or less in agreement.

I have always been arguing that adding methods to the SMI without
specific protocol support does not make sense.

Some people however argue that you can do methods with the current set
of protocol operations, which I believe is really really ugly and
where I would like the proponents of this idea to show at least an
outline how this could work in practice.

Regarding EOS: The EOS WG is not chartered to provide support for
methods. So they first have to deliver what they are chartered for
before method support may officially become an EOS work item (if I
understand the message from the ADs correctly). Hence, I have been
arguing to do methods later as an extension to SMIng in order to move
forward on the stuff that is available/being worked on right now.

/js