RE: Latest posted agenda for SMIng meeting at the 49th IETF...

[Dave] So, it sounds like in any case sming would still require the explicit
table mapping for backward compatibility reasons.

I still have some questions regarding reversioning if the alternative
approach was used for new mibs however. What if one inserts a new class
between two others in the inheritance hierarchy? That is, what if ClassA <-
ClassC later becomes ClassA <- ClassB <- ClassC? Or what if someone inserts
new attributes in the middle of an existing class? How would such things
affect the mapping?

The idea of using the oids more intelligently, and mapping them closer to
the class structure sounds intriguing. Certainly it would simplify the
mapping process. Would you be willing to write up a formal proposal on how
the non-tabular approach would work so the WG can better assess the pros &
cons (and determine what changes would be required for implementations)?