Re: Issue: Counters for Session Contexts not found in RFC3576 MIBS

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005, Murtaza Chiba (mchiba) wrote:

> Glen Z., has suggested the addition of counters in the event where the Session Context is not found for the
> RFC3576 MIBS.   This requires the addition of 4 objects, one each for DM
> and CoA messages for both the client and server MIBs.   There is a good
> need for this as NAKs could be sent for Diameter RAR capabilities, in
> which case the NAK is not an error condition.

I think this makes sense.

> Other Error Cause codes will not have corresponding counters.   There is a security concern that
> the counter may provide information valuable for attacks.   The authors
> would like to get the general feel for this.

Presumably access is only being provided to the SNMP manager, correct?  I
would focus on whether the information is useful rather than whether it is
security-sensitive.

There is probably some value in tracking error messages by DAC and DAS, so
as to see if there is a problem with a client or server.  For example, if
an error 501 is being returned by a DAC (Administratively Prohibited),
this could represent a security problem that needs to be addressed (e.g.
someone is trying to send unauthorized Disconnect-Requests).

I'm note sure whether the way to do this is via counters or potentially an
error message table.

> Alternative, is to maintain a counter for requests that are for Diameter RAR capabilities.

I do think it may make sense to count "Authorization Only" CoA and
Disconnect-Requests.  In terms of the