RE: Deployment Review for Bandwidth Attributes Document

Hi Mick,

I look forward to hearing from you. I do want to float my understanding
of DSCP usage and understand if other folks disagree (although this
topic does not have much to do with radext).
My understanding is that interpretation and usage of DSCP within a
network is whatever the owner of the network decides to have i.e. it can
choose to ignore them, overwrite/remark them, use them to prioritize
traffic the way it decides etc. The importance of standard
interpretation/marking of these settings is typically at the boundaries
of networks. However this standard interpretation is dependent upon on
the SLAs that the networks have amongst themselves i.e. the
interpretation is not global but limited to SLA. SLAs between networks
can vary significantly based on network technologies and the type of
traffic that they carry. Also I am not aware of any forum in the world
that can standardize this for all the networks in the world. So if I
understood the comments correctly, although the goals seem noble they
may be quite hard to get (if not impossible).....

BR,

Farooq Bari

While these may
> not be the most technically important things in the document, getting
most of the
> world lined up on usage will be of tremendous value - and will avoid
having to make
> arbitrary choices about what some important new application areas
should be
> consistent with.
>
> We have some recent experience with someone writing what was meant to
be a
> harmless example possibility into a document (just a random document
as it turned
> out, not even a standard or pseudo-standard), and the whole world went
off and
> stole a (fortunately unallocated, but unchecked) code point. In that
case it was an
> Ethernet Type allocation, but you get the idea. Examples get treated
as the gold
> standard by those who don't read further.
>
> I will try and get you some more detailed feedback next week, as it
happens we
> have an 802.1 meeting and I will put some time on the agenda for the
group to
> generate some more considered input/views on the particular scenarios
raised. I
> will also get time to read the document properly for the things I have
missed and
> other casual readers may miss.
>
> Mick

mapping/marking
> and not regarding section 5.2.1 which is related to radext discussion.
> Also pls note that 3GPP has NOT defined any new diffserv marking /
> mapping but only tried to explain a SAMPLE scenario as to how a system
> could work in the presence mappings / diffserv markings/mappings
already
> defined by other forums (WiFI Alliance, GSM, IEEE....). I would be
happy
> to bring in changes into 3GPP specifications if the sample scenario
> seems incorrect / inconsistent.
>
> BR,
>
> Farooq Bari

Pls