Re: RFC 2867/2868 question

Bernard Aboba wrote:

I have a question though: It seems like we can use either RADIUS
Access-Request/Answer, or RADIUS Accounting Request/Answer for setting
up the compulsory tunnel. What is the rationale behind this
"flexibility"? When would you recommend using one or the other?

I am not sure what "flexibility" you are talking about. RADIUS Accounting is not an authentication/authorization mechanism, it is an accounting protocol. RFC 2867 attributes are used to account for tunnel usage after they have been set up; the RFC 2868 attributes are used to authorize compulsory tunnels.

There's some flexibility in using the same attributes for
incoming or outgoing tunnels, and for reporting capabilities
vs. requesting a specific action. (I'm personally not too
fond of this flexibility.)

But all of this happens within the auth/authz part i.e.
Access-Request/Challenge/Response, not within accounting.

--Jari