Re: Implementation Survey: How does your EAP peer/RADIUS proxy handle internationalization?

Jari Arkko <jari.arkko@piuha.net> wrote:
> >  Years of deployment without complaints is a strong indicator that a
> >problem doesn't exist.  Let's let sleeping dogs lie.
> >
> Ok. But I'd still like to understand this better. Or I really
> need to, because we need to decide whether to
>   (a) strip i18n out of the bis draft altogether
>   (b) keep current utf-8 + plain-old-dns-name-but-as-idnunaware-
>         name-slot scheme
>   (c) change to utf-8 altogether

  I would say (b).

> Also, before you answer the above lets try to get some
> understanding on whether "no complaints" means
>   (i) no one is using i18n dns names yet. i have some sense
>       that this might be the case, as at least here in Finland
>       I think they allowed the new types of allocations
>       very recently.

  Mosrly.  i18n domain names have historically been rare.

>   (ii) existing support (just let utf-8 through) is working
>        well

  Definitely.

>   (iii) solutions from a single vendor work well, but
>         not a lot of interop has been attempted with this
>         particular case

  I would say that interoperability hasn't been *reported* on.  But
the deployments of RADIUS are so varied that I would be surprised if
interoperability isn't already being tested in live situations.

  I haven't heard of i18n problems with interoperability.  My guess,
therefore, is that such problems are rare.