RE: Proposed Resolution to Issue 87 (RADIUS MIB Updates)

Bernard Aboba writes...

> Question:  How does this work for NASes that support both IPv4 and
IPv6?
> Which objects would such devices use?

This begs the operational question of how RADIUS clients might support
IPv4/IPv6 co-existence.  I suppose that this issue might extend beyond
the scope of the MIB itself.

A potential conflict would appear to exist if RADIUS servers are
configured on a NAS with a mixture of IPv4 and IPv6 addresses.  Do we
have a notion of a single RADIUS server that could be addressed by
either IPv4 or IPv6?  If the NAS has a dual-mode stack, with both IPv4
and IPv6 addresses, RADIUS servers would see these as separate NASES,
based on the shared secret lookup.  Is that right?

I agree that the WG needs to consider all the semantics and operational
issues of IPv6 support, and document that somewhere, even if the MIB
isn't the best place.