Re: Implementation Survey: How does your EAP peer/RADIUS proxy handle internationalization?

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005, Bernard Aboba wrote:

> RFC 2486bis specifies how the NAI is internationalized.  In the
> development of this document, some questions have arisen about the
> behavior of existing EAP peers and RADIUS proxies.  In order to understand
> how existing implementations function, we need implementers to volunteer
> the answer to several questions:
>
> 1. How is internationalization supported on your EAP peer implementation?
> Does your EAP peer implementation support formating of the realm
> portion in IDN, or does it enable entering of UTF-8, or perhaps just plain
> ASCII?

For use with PPP, only ASCII is supported.  In EAP over IEEE 802, UTF-8 is
supported.  IDN is not supported (e.g. the realm part is not translated to
IDN or checked for compatibility with it).

> 2. How is internationalization supported on your RADIUS proxy
> implementation?.
>
> How does your implementation support internationalization within the realm
> table?  Are realm table entries stored in IDN, UTF-8, or something else?

They are stored in UTF-8.

> How are comparisons done between the realm in the NAI and the realm stored
> in the realm table?

Stringprep is not used in comparing the NAI realm to the realm in the realm table,
just an ordinary match.