Re: [eap] Implementation Survey: How does your EAP peer/RADIUS proxy handle internationalization? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 02:07:53 -0400
From: Yoshihiro Ohba <yohba@tari.toshiba.com>
To: Bernard Aboba <aboba@internaut.com>
Subject: Re: [eap] Implementation Survey:  How does your EAP peer/RADIUS
    proxy handle internationalization?

Hi Bernard,

I have EAP peer implementation (Open Diameter libeap) and I can answer
to the 1st question.

On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 08:46:25AM -0700, Bernard Aboba wrote:
> RFC 2486bis specifies how the NAI is internationalized.  In the
> development of this document, some questions have arisen about the
> behavior of existing EAP peers and RADIUS proxies.  In order to understand
> how existing implementations function, we need implementers to volunteer
> the answer to several questions:
>
> 1. How is internationalization supported on your EAP peer implementation?
>
> Does your EAP peer implementation support formating of the realm
> portion in IDN, or does it enable entering of UTF-8, or perhaps just plain
> ASCII?

When an EAP Request/Identity is received, the peer silently discards
the message if it contains a non-UTF-8 string.

When an EAP Response/Identity is going to be sent, the peer checks the
contents of the identity passed from an application (the application
can use any UTF-8 string as identity) and silently discards the
message instead of sending it, if it contains a non-UTF-8 string.

The peer silently discards EAP Request/Identity if it contains a
non-UTF-8 string.

These may be too restrictive (as it accepts only UTF-8 string) and I
may change my implementation to allow more flexibility.

Hope this helps,

Yoshihiro Ohba