RE: [eap] RE: [Isms] RADIUS is not a trusted third party

Alper Yegin <> supposedly scribbled:

> Glen,
>
>>> what is radius for you? (you write that it is not a trusted
third
>>> party.)
>>
>> It's not.  From the point of view of authentication protocols
(PAP,
>> CHAP, EAP, etc.), both RADIUS and Diameter are just "wires":
>
> What happens when we look at this picture from the "authorization"
> perspective? "Host-to-NAS authorization for the network access
> service"
> is dynamically generated from "host-to-AAA server" authorization
and
> "AAA server to client (NAS)" authorization. Wouldn't this
constitute
> a 3-party model?

I'm pretty sure that both Sam & I were just talking about
authentication.  In any case, could you expound a bit?  I don't
actually know what you're talking about.  What do "Host-to-NAS
authorization for the network access service", "host-to-AAA server
authorization" and "AAA server to client (NAS) authorization" mean?
Are you saying that somehow the host authorizes the NAS to provide
it network access?

> Alper
>

>> the
>> operation of the auth protocols should be exactly the same as if
they
>> terminated in the AAA client, instead of elsewhere.  Basically,
the
>> purpose of AAA (again, from the POV of an authentication
>> protocol) is simply scaling.  BTW, a lot of misery has been
caused by
>> the erroneous belief that EAP is (or can be) a three-party
>> authentication protocol: it isn't, and can't be.  It could
_carry_ a
>> three-party protocol (like Kerberos), but EAP in itself is a
>> two-party protocol.
>>
>>> why do you care that only one party knows that radius is used?
it
>>> could also be diameter.
>>>
>>> i would like to better understand why some people dislike the
aaa
>>> architecture (radius, diameter).
>>
>> I think that the misunderstanding mentioned above might have
>> something to do with it...
>>

>>> ciao
>>> hannes

"Session-Timeout",