Re: Radius-Geopriv: Whose location?

I would be happiest if the document provided both the user and the access device location, as available. In addition, it would be great if the document addressed privacy concerns* for user location. For instance, the AAA server could provide an attribute in an Access-Challenge indicating that sending location information is appropriate and agreed by the user; the subsequent Access-Request would then contain the user location AVP. This would enable a privacy sensitive home network to disable the sending of the location data across a proxy chain, even if the NAS supports this draft.

*) I do realize that we carry some policies in the AAA
exchanges about disclosing location. We also have
some identity privacy protection. Nevertheless, if
possible, I'd like to avoid sending the data at all
if the parties don't want that, rather than rely solely
on a policy. (But I confess that I'm don't know much about
Geopriv policies.) Also, I am not 100% convinced that we
can in the long term have full identity privacy, given
things like CUI.

--Jari

Joel M. Halpern wrote:

The main point is that the document should indicate explicitly what location it provides. It could provide both user and NAS location as separate information. It could provide just one of those two and be explicit about which one.
But, as written, even with the proposed change, the document provides a single attribute and says that it may be either meaning, without explicit differentiation.

Yours,
Joel

At 09:18 AM 3/2/2005, Bernard Aboba wrote:

> Requested change:
> Decide whether this document is intended to provide subscriber location
> (which is rarely directly useful for AAA), or access device / network
> location information.

It is ok with me if this document solely handles NAS location, so that we
can (quickly) create another document to handle user location. However,
it is not accurate to say that user location is rarely useful for AAA.
There are now shipping products that support location-based access
control:
http://www.nwfusion.com/techinsider/2004/0315techinsiderrev.html

Some scenarios in which this is used:

a. High security installations, where access is only permitted within
restricted areas.

b. Manufacturing, where it is important to track the location of people
and parts.

c. Medical, where it is important to know the location of medical
personnel.

d. E911, where the location of an emergency call is determined by the AP,
and provided to the RADIUS server.