Re: Radius-Geopriv: Precision

> [hannes] the current format allows to specify location information very
> precisely. if you have a  larger network you might want to indicate only the
> location of the network rather than the  location of each access point
> (particularly if we configure the loc-info of the access points  manually).
> indicating the precise information of the aaa server might not always what
> you want. in  this case you might indicate, for example, a city destrict as
> a whole rather than indicating the  floor where the aaa server can be found.
> maybe the aspect of precision needs some more text. maybe the terminology
> needs to be changed.

I think the document needs to clearly differentiate NAS location from user
location.

Today shipping 802.11 APs can estimate the user location to a significant
degree of precision, and AAA server products are making
authentication/authorization decisions based on that information.

For example, in a secure 802.11 environment, it may be forbidden for
users to access the network outside of authorized areas.  Therefore the
RADIUS server may require the user's geospatial location in order to
determine if an Access-Request can be granted.

I'd note that in these situations it is even possible for the user's civil
location to be different from that of the NAS device.  For example, if
directional antennas are being used, the user could be a substantial
distance away from the AP.

If NAS location and user location are clearly delineated, then it will not
be necessary to take that into account within a precision attribute.