RE: Proposal: Capabilities Attribute

Bernard Aboba <mailto:aboba@internaut.com> supposedly scribbled:

>>>       This Attribute includes a list of attribute types
supported
>>>       by the client.  One or more Capabilities attributes MAY be
>>>       sent within an Access-Request packet.
>>
>> Why only client & request?
>
> The usage scenario I had in mind was a NAS announcing to a server
> that it supported various attributes.  This could be useful, for
> debugging purposes (oops, I forgot to upgrade that NAS!), or
backward
> compatibility (server won't send a new attribute to a NAS that
> doesn't support it).
>
> Can you describe how a server could use a Capabilities attribute?

First, let me apologize for the tardiness of this response.  As it
stands, by the time a client gets a response (if any) from a server
that doesn't support some necessary capability, it's too late:
either the request "succeeded" or it failed.  However, I don't see
any reason to limit the new aspects of the protocol based upon
historical limitations.

Hope this helps,

~gwz

Why is it that most of the world's problems can't be solved by
simply
  listening to John Coltrane? -- Henry Gabriel