Re:

On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 01:41:45PM -0500, Avi Lior wrote:

> > One of the intended additional uses for CUI (at least in our roaming
> > scenarios)
> > at the home AAA is indeed to be able to help correlating related
> > (shorter)
> > accounting sessions into longer "user experienced session" --
> > e.g. something acct-multi-session-id could also be used for
> > but extended to multiple disconnect & reconnect cases as well.
>
> Repharsing:
>
> When User-name is not available, CUI can be used to help correalating
> related (shorter) accounting session into longer "user experienced session"
> that extend over multiple disconnect and reconnect cases.
>
> Note that if acct-multi-session-id can be used it should be used.  The above
> is a case where multi-session-id would not work. So without a username or
> some other attribute to tie them together then CUI would indeed help.
> Another attribute that can be used for this would be Calling-Station-Id.
>
> Perhaps we can generalize this -- There will be lots of different scenario
> that would fit here. So how about:
>
> CUI is a handle to a user.  Therefore CUI can be used in scenarios that
> traditionaly relied on username to correlate a session to a user.  For
> example, CUI can be used to correlating related accounting sessions into
> longer sessions that extend over multiple disconnnect and reconnect cases.
>
> This use case aligns with the one that someone brought up for WLAN roaming
> where the SLA agreement covers 24 hours period and all the individual
> accounting sessions need to be mapped to a User at the visited network.

Watch out here.  Those of us in the stick-in-the-mud camp can only accept
CUI when Class won't do.  So any use of CUI at the behest of the home
network is out of order.

CUI can only be justified when it's the owner of the NAS or proxy that
demands a handle to the user.

A home server that gets CUI in the Access-Request and therefore puts CUI
in the Accept could, I suppose, use the CUI in Accounting requests rather
than Class, but why would its developer want to use two different mechanisms
when always using Class would work just as well?

Regards,
Barney

--
Barney Wolff         http://www.databus.com/bwresume.pdf
I'm available by contract or FT, in the NYC metro area or via the 'Net.