RE:

> One of the intended additional uses for CUI (at least in our roaming
> scenarios)
> at the home AAA is indeed to be able to help correlating related
> (shorter)
> accounting sessions into longer "user experienced session" --
> e.g. something acct-multi-session-id could also be used for
> but extended to multiple disconnect & reconnect cases as well.

Repharsing:

When User-name is not available, CUI can be used to help correalating
related (shorter) accounting session into longer "user experienced session"
that extend over multiple disconnect and reconnect cases.

Note that if acct-multi-session-id can be used it should be used.  The above
is a case where multi-session-id would not work. So without a username or
some other attribute to tie them together then CUI would indeed help.
Another attribute that can be used for this would be Calling-Station-Id.

Perhaps we can generalize this -- There will be lots of different scenario
that would fit here. So how about:

CUI is a handle to a user.  Therefore CUI can be used in scenarios that
traditionaly relied on username to correlate a session to a user.  For
example, CUI can be used to correlating related accounting sessions into
longer sessions that extend over multiple disconnnect and reconnect cases.

This use case aligns with the one that someone brought up for WLAN roaming
where the SLA agreement covers 24 hours period and all the individual
accounting sessions need to be mapped to a User at the visited network.