Re: TCP small fragments

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 03:27:20 -0800, Vishwas Manral <Vishwas@sinett.com> wrote:
> Hi Vern/ folks,
>
> I have been looking at the documents being produced by the opsec group.
> I could not find a comprehensive document which lists down security
> mechanisms to deal with TCP related threats, in the IETF itself. Did I
> miss out anything?

So most of the capabilities documents, esp. filtering/ratelimiting are about
*mechanisms* for doing exaclty that.

> Would it be helpful to work on a document "TCP Operational Security
> Current Practices", including mechanisms to deal with attacks like small
> fragments, XMAS/NULL/FIN scans, sequence number attacks etc? We could
> probably point to already existing RFC's where necessary. Any other
> takers?

Merike's draft is about *practices* (steps taken to enforce policy based on
precieved or actual threats if you will)

The practices documents will contain some examples, but not exaustive
as justification for the featues....they will also cite the practices document.

Neither is aimed at being an exhaustive list.

I sugguest you poke around, come up with a list of things you think might
fiit in such a draft, the compare notes with Merike....if there's substantial
overlap, just join forces with her....if not, then the question will be where
to go with it (new draft, whitepaper, etc.)

Thanks,
----George Jones