Re: Layer 2 access and Current Practices

At 3:30 PM -0500 3/2/05, George Jones wrote:
The WG Charter says:

The working group will list capabilities appropriate for
devices use in:

* Internet Service Provider (ISP) Networks
* Enterprise Networks

The following areas are excluded from the charter at this time:

* Wireless devices
* Small-Office-Home-Office (SOHO) devices
* Security devices (firewalls, Intrusion Detection Systems,
Authentication Servers)
* Hosts

I think that means most of the broadband aggrigator and CPE questions below
are out of scope.

I certainly can see excluding SOHO, with all of its specialized problems. There is a remaining concern for large enterprises and hosting centers with gigabit Ethernet or POS/SONET/SDH acceess to their upstream IP providers. The huge bandwidth available to certain organization could make them, if compromised by miscreants, huge threats to SP network stability.

To protect the SP network from a compromised high-bandwidth site, security measures may be implemented in provider-operated equipment at the site, or, more likely, at the POP. As a rule of thumb, if a given site has bandwidth comparable to a midsize ISP, I believe it has to be given special consideration as a risk, and also a major revenue source to be protected.

I think the fact that port security is not used (per Merike's survey)
in larger ISPs
speaks to either A) it's difficulty to use or B) it's lack of preceieved benfit.

Agreed that we can drop port security.

I could be argued into paying more attention to it in the drafts (well, those that I'm involved in such as filtering) if it can be shown that A) it would be used if made more simple/effective B) operators can be shown to see a precieved benefit.

Since many large providers are exploring very-high-speed "Ethernet" access to firms in metropolitan areas, or large isolated sites, I believe that some consideration should be given.

Thanks, ---George Jones