RE: [Call-home] Re: last call for a Call Home BoF

Here is my AD-view on this:

First the NM aspects:
- The topic came up strong in the last ISMS f2f meeting in Paris.
- I (as AD, but also as an individual contributor) worry/worried that
  we might make something (like call-home) a MUST for ISMS while it
  was not a MUST in NETCONF. I think we should be conistsent in our
  NM protocols and try to make sure that the same (security)
  infrastructure can be used for ISMS and NetConf (and others).
- I also worry/worried about what impact it may have on SNMPv3 (hence
  the discussion on authoritative (engine, information etc). I am
  happy to see that that is being well discussed on ISMS list

Then the IETF-wide aspects
- I worry/worried that we might be doing a point-solution in the NM
  space, while it seems to me that the CH fiunctionality is an IETF
  wide issue.
- So I at least want to get a much better understanding of what the
  IETF-wide or Architectural aspects/possibilities are.
- Even if we decide to do a point-solution, then I still want to try
  and make sure that we do so based on a well-informed set of
  discussions including those from other areas.

So that is what the BOF (in my view) needs to address.
The result is (as yet) unknown. It may turn out that there are
(reasonably) simple solutions at the IETF-wide level. If so, then we
(NM folk) may want to help define/specify a generic solution that
we can then also use in NM protocols.
If we need to go down the road of a point-solution, then I would hope
that we at least take into consideration all the things we learn during
the BOF.

Makes sense?

Bert