Re: Issue 9.4) Partial locks

At 07:08 AM 12/15/2003, William Caban wrote:
>On Tue, 2003-12-02 at 20:11, Andy Bierman wrote:
>> Should a variant of the lock operation support the
>> specification of a subset of the data model?
>Only if is an optional capability since there are some scenarios where
>partial lock is not a good idea and others where is a major plus.
>

>> 9.4.1) Partial lock proposal
>I vote for it.

I'm the one that made the proposal, but now I think we should
defer work on partial locks because of the complexity.  IMO
it is too difficult to implement partial locks across multiple
access mechanisms (e.g., CLI, XML, SNMP) using an XML expression
for the lock point.  This requires translation mechanisms between
XML and other types of data models which are beyond the scope
of this standardization effort (or maybe any effort).

>--
>William Caban <william@hpcf.upr.edu>

Andy