Re: message to nanog

At 11:44 AM 11/20/2003, Rob Enns wrote:
>There are (at least) two groups of folks currently unhappy with the
>current state of configuration of network devices.
>
>1. operators
> - use expect scripting, may be happy w/out channels and async notifications
> -> this is what Eliot's msg is intended to clarify
> - esp for operational data gathering (recall Grover Browning's
>   comments at NANOG 28) notifications aren't necessary.
> - larger operators have in-house oss development teams which may fit
>   better into the next group
>
>2. oss vendors (including large operators internal systems
>    and device vendors' oss offerings)
> - also forced to use expect for many devices and have to deal
>   with async events related to configuration changes via syslog
>   or snmp traps today
>
>I'm wary of treading the same ground over again.
>We polled operators in the room (IETF 56) wrt the XMLCONF draft
>which had mandatory channels and optional notifications,
>and they said they supported it.
>
>One option we've discussed is rewording the NETCONF draft
>such that a transport like SSH wouldn't require the use of
>notifications or explicit channels. It would instead be
>a logical operation channel over a single transport connection
>with no notifications and no rpc-abort/progress.
>
>However NETCONF would not preclude use the additional capabilities of
>other transports (BEEP) to allow notifications to be sent via another
>channel. Seems like this should make both groups reasonably happy.
>
>Comments?

I agree with your characterization of the two types of users
of NETCONF.  I think the proposal made in Minneapolis solves
the problem nicely:
  - the operation channel is mandatory
  - the management and notifications are optional

This provides for a NETCONF-LITE for script writers
which is just a simple connection-oriented RPC mechanism,
and a more complete management protocol for application
developers.

>Rob

Andy