Re: message to nanog

>>>>> Eliot Lear writes:

Eliot> At the plenary, we agreed that I would draft a message to NANOG
Eliot> to ask for feedback on features such as notifications &
Eliot> channels.  Here is my first cut at such a message.

I think another way to explain channels is by analogy with something
people are already familiar with.  A good example is FTP since it uses
a TCP connection to control the FTP session and other TCP connections
to transfer data. Channels are essentially the same idea of using
several independent data streams for different purposes. There are the
following choices for supporting channels:

1) BEEP supports channels that are multiplexed on a single TCP
   connection.

2) SSH supports channels that are multiplexed on a single TCP
   connection. (I hope this is correct - SSH folks please check.)

3) HTTP would emulate channels with multiple TCP connections. (Again,
   I am not sure this is correct).

4) SCTP is a new transport protocol which supports independent
   channels (called streams in SCTP) natively.

Well, re-reading the text, I am not sure this is really so much
better. Use or discard it as you like. ;-)

/js

--
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany