Re: Netconf over SOAP

On Thursday, October 23, 2003, at 05:04 AM, Mi-Jung Choi wrote:
We would like to add a few more points to the previous I-D of Netconf over SOAP.

1. We proposed that the agent embedded HTTP client as well as HTTP server
 for asynchronous notification. The previous draft suggested the use of SOAP
overBEEP or polling mechanism as the solutions of asynchronous notification.

This mechanism for notifications over HTTP has been discussed, but was not included in the current draft due to the complexity of initiating the reverse connection from the agent. What is your proposal?

2. We suggested the use of XPath for selection of partial configuration data
  instead of using sub-tree filtering. So the use of XPath does not need to insert
  operation attributes(merge, replace, and delete) between the configuration data.
  This shows a clear boundary between the configuration and operation
  in the <edit-cofig> operation.

This would not be specific to NETCONF over SOAP, but XPath mechanisms are of interest for NETCONF.

3. We redesigned the <edit-config> operation in order to use XPath.
  Without the three attributes such as "merge", "replace" and "delete",
  the <edit-config> operation is transferred into the <edit-config-merge>, <edit-config-replace>
  and <edit-config-delete> operations. The manager can directly call these operations from
  the agent.

There are concerns that making XPath mandatory may be too heavy for some devices, but any implementation experiences are welcome.

4. We mentioned the <rpc> element was unnecessary in the SOAP RPC message
  because the use of <rpc> prevented the manager from directly calling base operations.
  We hope that the NETCONF protocol provides more flexibility to the NETCONF operation message
  considering a RPC mechanism.

<rpc> is specific to NETCONF and was retained with SOAP so that application code could be easily shared between BEEP, SOAP, and SSH implementations. It's true that the use of the <rpc> tag affects source code, but its cosmetic:

agent.rpc(GetConfig g);

vs

agent.getConfig();

5. We defined WSDL for RPC operation descriptions including parameters of RPC operations,
  data types of parameters, and return values of RPC operations.
  WSDL of RPC operations is very important in the NETCONF implementation using RPC mechanism.
  So we hope the definition of WSDL of RPC operation become a standard like a NETCONF protocol
  message.  Appendix (A) shows the examples of our WSDL.

Please feel free to post your WSDL for discussion.

6. We suggested a slightly modified mechanism for creating session by adding the <create-session>
  operation and the context of Session-ID. The use of <create-session> relieves the overhead of
  agent message parsing.

The current scheme of using HTTP headers involves minimal parsing ... however
suggestions for other mechanisms are welcome.

And if necessary, we’d like to submit our version of I-D.

The best way to proceed is by discussing the specific issues on this list.

Thanks,
Ted.