Netconf over SOAP

Hello all,

We would like to add a few more points to the previous I-D of Netconf over SOAP.

Here are some issues to consider :

1. We proposed that the agent embedded HTTP client as well as HTTP server

  for asynchronous notification. The previous draft suggested the use of SOAP

over BEEP or polling mechanism as the solutions of asynchronous notification.

2. We suggested the use of XPath for selection of partial configuration data

   instead of using sub-tree filtering. So the use of XPath does not need to insert

   operation attributes(merge, replace, and delete) between the configuration data.

   This shows a clear boundary between the configuration and operation

   in the <edit-cofig> operation.

3. We redesigned the <edit-config> operation in order to use XPath.

   Without the three attributes such as "merge", "replace" and "delete",

   the <edit-config> operation is transferred into the <edit-config-merge>, <edit-config-replace>

   and <edit-config-delete> operations. The manager can directly call these operations from

   the agent.

4. We mentioned the <rpc> element was unnecessary in the SOAP RPC message

   because the use of <rpc> prevented the manager from directly calling base operations.

   We hope that the NETCONF protocol provides more flexibility to the NETCONF operation message

   considering a RPC mechanism.

5. We defined WSDL for RPC operation descriptions including parameters of RPC operations,

   data types of parameters, and return values of RPC operations.

   WSDL of RPC operations is very important in the NETCONF implementation using RPC mechanism.

   So we hope the definition of WSDL of RPC operation become a standard like a NETCONF protocol

   message.  Appendix (A) shows the examples of our WSDL.

6. We suggested a slightly modified mechanism for creating session by adding the <create-session>

   operation and the context of Session-ID. The use of <create-session> relieves the overhead of

   agent message parsing.

And if necessary, we’d like to submit our version of I-D.

Thanks,

Mi-Jung Choi