From: Randy Presuhn [mailto:randy_presuhn@mindspring.com]
Sent: vrijdag 12 september 2003 5:55
To: nm-ws@ops.ietf.org
Subject: Re: RFC3535 question/clarification

Hi -

I'm agree with Juergen and Ran, and would like to remind folks of an
extremely useful concept from an ancient protocol and its SMI: attribute groups.
The idea is that one can associate a label with a particular
semantic ("statistics" or "configuration"), and that, in conjunction with a class
definition, (as well as in the definition of the group itself) one can say that
specific attributes of instances of a class are members of a particular group.

This concept is helpful at a protocol level: instead of building the
groupings into the protocol, one simply needs a way to say
"get <group-name>" , with the result containing the appropriate
attribute/value tuples (or however the bits and pieces are structured).
It also has the very nice property of accomodating those pieces of information
that arguably belong in more than one group, e.g., bits that are used for
both configuration and active control.

Randy