Re: NETCONF WG meeting minutes for IETF #57

[... interesting contribution deleted ...]

Graham> My point is to illustrate, in a fairly concrete fashion, the
Graham> possibility of a data model that is carried in XML syntax, but
Graham> which does not itself directly reflect the underlying XML data
Graham> model.  XML is (roughly) a labelled-and-annotated tree
Graham> structure, where RDF uses a labelled directed graph structure.
Graham> Query/selection that works for a tree structufre doesn't
Graham> necessarily work for other data models.

I agree with this observation. RDF might indeed be an interesting
alternative to look at. Trying to model complex configurations as a
tree structure will lead to quite some discussions down the road and a
labelled directed graph structure surely provides more flexibility.

From the protocol point of view, I think netconf should just have the
notion of a filter while the details how the filter looks like might
be a function of the data model being used.

Back to RDF: If I understand RDF right, then we would have to accept
that all resources on a device are actually named by a URI and the
configuration basically becomes a set of properties associated with
those URIs (representing resources). I guess I have to dive deeper
into RDF to understand how complex relationships between resources can
be represented. Such a capability would surely be a big plus compared
to a simple tree structure.

/js

--
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany