RE: Separation of protocol and information model

At 07:27 AM 9/4/2003, Allen, Keith wrote:
>Andy Bierman wrote:
>> IMO it would be a mistake to push protocol operations into
>> the data model.  We did this in SNMP (e.g. RowStatus and
>> StorageType) and it didn't work out too well.
>>

>The designers of SNMP were confident they could design a protocol with all
>the operations that management applications would ever need, so they didn't
>enable MIB designers to add their own.  Now you think this group can do a
>better job, and granted this group's list of operations is longer.  We're
>still afraid, however, that it won't work out too well.  Thus, we're
>proposing a more object-oriented approach that lets MIB designers define
>which objects can be applied to object classes, and to extend the set of
>operations if necessary.  Had the SNMP designers done this there would be no
>RowStatus and we might all be using SNMP for configuration.

There are many reasons SNMP/SMI has not been widely deployed
for configuration, but that's already been documented elsewhere.

I think you are confusing operations which are independent
of the data model (e.g., lock, checkpoint, rollback, validate,
commit) with data-model-specific operations that should be
defined in an individual schema (add_bgp_neighbor, add_vlan_to_port).
Refer to netconf-00, sec 3.2 to see how the latter type of
operation is supported.  BTW, this is the type of high-level
operation for which WSDL can be useful.

>Keith Allen
>SBC Labs
>9505 Arboretum Blvd.