RE: Separation of protocol and information model

> Not at all.  I want a protocol that exposes the operations my
> application needs to perform to load/merge/etc a piece of configuration
> into a device's configuration.  I want to be able to issue operations
> as RPC calls and get results.  I want to have control over how and
> when the configuration is processed.  I want to be able to load a
> delta, test that the syntax and semantics of the delta are valid,
> commit the delta into the running configuration, test that the
> device is operating (reachability, lack of breakage, appearance of
> requested feature), and either rollback the delta if something's
> gone wrong or make the change permanent.

It is not a simple file transfer protocol, no it is not.  It is a file
transfer and manipulation protocol.  It got much granular control of file
maniuplation than FTP/TFTP.  It also has some basic transaction behaviour
like stop on error, rollback on error, lock, unlock, commit.  However, I
still can't  picture how a such protocol works seamlessly with a good data
model.  I will look into your URL to do further study.

--

Weijing Chen